Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Some Six Word Memoirs From Madagascar

In college, there was a weekly Sunday night service called Candlelight that my friends and I attended religiously (haha that was a bad pun, sorry not sorry). One year, Pastor Char gave a message on six word memoirs- she had just finished reading a book that was a collection of six word memoirs in which people described their entire lives in six words. Six word memoirs stuck with me, for multiple years until this August; when I attended YAGM orientation in Chicago, my small group leader Jen asked each of us to say how we were feeling in six words or less daily before our time together. 
Sometimes, when I can't bring myself to journal intensively, instead I write down six words- a memoir of my time in Madagascar so far, or six words to describe my day, or how I'm feeling at the moment. 
Here are some of my favorites that describe my time in Madagascar thus far:

Overwhelmed... Feeling negatively about the future.
Looking forward to a day off. 
Trampoline jumping, scraped hands: worth it.
Really wanting deep theological conversations now.
"Marble soccer"- innovation even in children.
I've eaten entirely too much liver. 
Can I go to sleep now?
Feeling guilty for neglecting Malagasy studies. 
First broken taxibe yesterday. How exciting. 
TPFLM asked for some poetry.... Gulp.
Wishing something helped combat my depression. 
Messaged Jen- feel better about life.
Questioning Gods relationship with humanity today.
"Lord I believe; help my unbelief." 
Mafy ny fianana. Life is hard. 
Saw another vazaha on the taxibe!!!!!!
Note to self: avoid ampalibe- yuck. 
Power outages are slowly getting worse...
I need to buy more candles.
Why is faith so incredibly difficult? 
Rainy season: never sleeping in silence. <3
Laundry is hard, time consuming work. 
Misy alika roa ve ato?!?! Tsarabe! 
Sometimes I want to sleep forever. 
Got my Malagasy bible today- LOVE!!!
Kirsten, Ryan, Brittany, lemurs- good day.
This world is so damn broken. 
American systemic racism conversation... Tired; Impassioned.
We must invest in Colored communities.
Homemade burritos with Ryan and Nielsen 😁😁
Hunting flies intently... I'm going crazy.
Turkeys, pies, and stuffing- oh, my! 
Retreat. Rainforest. Missing Meridyth. Believing. Beauty.
Land whales. Indri. Constant beautiful symphony. 
When did Tanjombato become my home?
"I had pain too. I understand."   
Hung with Christa in Tana-- AWESOME.
WHY IS THE TRAFFIC SO MISERABLE?????
My Christmas revelation: God is HOPE.
Bacterial infection of the gut- fun. 
Manakara for New Years... beach bums.
Return of the bacterial infection- yippee.
So... apparently, arranged marriages still happen. 
Most efficient taxibe driver EVER today. 
ENTIRE family helped me eat crab. 
First time standing for taxibe ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment