Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Doxology": noun, a liturgical formula of praise to God

Ry Tompon'ny harena o! 
Fanatitra an'tsitrapo, 
Atolotray anao izao, 
Mba raiso ka tahionao! 
Amen

I've always been in band in school. Choir sounded interesting, but band interfered and it was my first love. Singing was something I enjoyed, but nothing I ever practiced- or felt comfortable sharing with others. 
But as unpracticed as I am in singing, I am much more uncomfortable with teaching. 
So when push comes to shove in my English classes at the FLM, I end up singing. 

At my home church in Tanjombato, I work with a group of level 2 English students (who are amazingly smart and good at English after only 6 months). They usually work through having conversations, so we had a 'get to know you' conversation about likes and dislikes. As an example, I said that I don't like to dance, but I like to sing. And of course, that lead to them wanting to hear me sing. Oof. 
But it turned out to be a good thing-- I didn't know what else to teach them, so I taught them two songs. We learned the first verse and chorus of 'I'll Fly Away' first, and discussed new vocabulary like "glad" and "glory". 
                      ****Aside: it is really difficult to try to explain the concept of glory or gladness in another language. Try it sometime. It really makes you think about what gladness or glory actually means.****
And then I couldn't remember the second or third verses. 
We still had 45 minutes of class left. 
Uh oh. 
In my mad scrambling to try and find a song that was both 1. something I knew well enough that I could teach & 2. easy enough that the students could remember it, the only thing that was in my brain was the Doxology. 
Lutherans are fond of singing it, before offering sometimes... Our MadYAGM group sang it often as a mealtime grace. 
You might know it: 
Praise God from whom all blessings flow, 
Praise Him all creatures here below,
Praise Him above ye heavenly host,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! 
Amen 

So I taught my group of 15 Malagasy kids the doxology. 
And when we still had time left, we went over vocabulary. 
I asked them to try to translate it into Malagasy, and they came up with this:
Ry Tompon'ny harena o!
Fanatitra an'tsitrapo 
Atolotray anao izao 
Mba raiso ka tahionao! 
Amen

I love it. 
Half of us sang the English, while half of us sang the Malagasy. The words mushed together, our voices melded imperfectly, our pronunciation terrible-- But I believe God wept tears of joy in Heaven to hear us. 
It was beautiful. 


The view of the sunset tonight and the city of Tanjombato,Antananarivo that's just outside my window as I write this blog. I'm loving this place more and more with every passing day. 

2 comments:

  1. Hannah! This is beautiful. I can hear all that singing now. Good for you, girl. Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete